Wednesday, February 25, 2009

For Starters...

I am not sure how well I will keep up with this blog. I guess it will depend on whether or not people read it and how much I enjoy keeping it up. I intend for this to be a place where people can comment on books that I have read, or books that they think I should read. Basically I would like to see this become an online Book Club of sorts. I will keep an ongoing list of books on the right side of the blog that anyone is welcome to comment on at anytime. My goal is to pick one of the books each week for specific discussion. I will try to write a brief recommendation and also a more descriptive opinion on the book chosen each week. Just as a disclaimer, most of the books I read are by recommendation and I am by no means an expert book critic, but I am a pessimistic curmudgeon, so I am reasonably difficult to please. That said, don't be surprised if most of my critiques seem somewhat harsh or negative. Also, I am not the type of person who likes artsy-fartsy books that are so descriptive that you lose the overall plot as you drudge your way through infinite analogies. Simply put, I enjoy books that entertain me and give me a reprieve from my daily monotony. So, that's enough crap, let's get started.

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to let you know I came to your blog. I think people will enjoy this, especially those of us who love reading. You may be interested in reading some of Pearl S. Buck's novels. I love her; especially The Good Earth (It won a Pulitzer) and Dragon Seed. Dragon Seed is one of my favorite books.These are both historical novels about life in China, She has many others as well.

    I will tell people to come to your blog for a good book recommendation. I'll add your blog to blogs I follow.

    Thanks for the visit today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually already read "The Good Earth". It is not bad. Maybe I'll spotlight it one week. I have not read "Dragon Seed", so thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete